Translate

Monday, February 18, 2013

Pile O' Twigs




  • WednesdaySnow and freezing drizzle. High near 27. Windy, with a east southeast wind 16 to 26 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
  • Wednesday NightSnow and sleet. Low around 24. Breezy, with a east southeast wind 18 to 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
  • ThursdaySnow, freezing rain, and sleet likely, mainly before 3pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29. Blustery. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
  • Thursday NightPartly cloudy, with a low around 6.


This is the forecast for us later this week.  While I'm very excited about moisture for our area, I'm not happy about the wind or icy parts, or the low of 6 Thursday night.  Brrr.

Let's go back to Sunday when it was 70 degrees Fahrenheit.  So nice for February.

I donned my new garden gloves and we pruned.


My wonderful husband spent most of his time taking care of our locust tree.  We planted it the first spring we were in the house (1998).  Mostly, we remove branches which are headed toward the house and any limbs that are rubbing or crossing.


While WH was busy with that, I found lady bugs!


I disturbed the lady bugs while pruning some shrubs.

We also removed three dwarf Alberta spruce trees and two arborvitae shrubs which died last summer.

We have a nice big pile of twigs which the birds are enjoying.  We'll take them to the city's collection site when we get a chance.  Hopefully, the pile will be buried in snow soon.


11 comments:

  1. 70 to 6 within the week. That will be a shock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though we've had some snow this Winter, it is not near enough to help our water tables. We are suppose to be dropping temps rapidly today and get some snow again. You sure got a lot done. I can't start my outside work until March or April.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  3. A ladybug is a welcome sight! Husband here is commencing the pruning of the crabapples, but not in a balmy 70 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hubby is a brave man to climb up that ladder! I always like seeing ladybugs...they are so welcome in my garden! I hope you get some sun soon!! We had a lot of wind yesterday and more expected today. The pots I had stacked on my potting bench are now scattered all over the backyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a monkey. I'm never sure what I'll find him up in next. Ha!

      Delete
  5. Snow is the great tidier - it's the only time of the year that the garden looks nice! Mind you, Mrs IG has me under orders to finish a part of the great redesign balls-up this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true about the snow. It always improves the garden look in the winter. Here's hoping you keep Mrs IG happy. Things can become a mess mid project.

      Delete
  6. You have NOOOOO idea!!! I am so itchin' to prune right now but I have to wait. Just a week or so and than the shears are coming out!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Latest update on the weather has less ice, more snow, colder Thursday night, same amount of wind. Preparing for winter at GonSS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice that you had a day where you could get out and work in the garden. Pruning is one of my least favorite tasks! Hope the snow storm won't be as bad as predicted. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not wild about freezing rain, but I do hope you get some snow. We may be getting some rain tomorrow -- we could use it.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street