Translate

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

What We Hope To Eat From The Garden In 2013



I finally have a list of edibles for the coming growing season.  I've checked my seed stash and made a shopping list.  There are a few question marks on my list.  Need to check on some varieties.  My list is one post back.

Last year, I tried to note each time I planted something and when I could start harvesting that edible.  Too much hassle.  I didn't gain much from it.  I won't be doing that this year.  Some of the list got depressing as I noted plants dying in last year's heat and drought.

We are still in a drought.  Not sure what will happen with our city's water conservation plan.  I've decided not to purchase any new ornamentals this year.  I just want to keep what I have alive and grow some veggies.  Hopefully, our weather will improve and bring us some moisture.  I am contemplating beginning the tub water routine soon.

Other than getting a seed order ready, we need to prune some tree branches soon.

My bulbs are starting to sprout.  Hopefully, there will be a nice spring display.

This post is property of http://gardenonsherlockstreet.blogspot.com/

11 comments:

  1. It makes sense to not order any new ornamentals. One never knows about this awful summers I tell you. Hopefully we'll get some good rains this year. Enjoy the bulbs. My favorite time is daffy time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are still in drought here too. I was hoping this Winter there would be enough snow to restore are water tables but we didn't get enough. Dreading another year like the last 2.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  3. On your list post I asked if you were going to plant everything on the list and now I have my answer!! This is going to be a wonderful vege garden!! Nothing tastes like home-grown veges!! We will have a large vege garden too, but not as many things as you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to wish you a Happy Valentine's Day
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's terrible that you still have a drought. I had no idea it was so bad down there. Now I understand why you wish you had our snow. Enjoy your bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the drought lessens this year for you. We have had more than our share of rain this winter so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so hard to plan a garden when you have water limitations. Like you say, it's hard enough just keeping what you have alive. I hope we both get plenty of rain this year. Good luck on your veggies. I rarely post about what dies - it's too depressing! At least you can pretty much always count on bulbs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in the same boat as you are with the new ornamentals. .how sad is that! Hoping that the veggies will be more productive this year in a self watering set up than in the ground. .it will definitely improve the water usage I think. .Wonder if drought kills Johnson grass :-) I am looking forward to the bulbs too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi There, We been in Arkansas for a week --so I'm trying to catch back up with my blog friends. Hope you had a great week.

    Love reading your list of what you will have in the garden this year... Sounds GREAT.... Hope we have a good 'growing season' this year!!!!! Hopefully the water situation will be better than past years.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you do get plenty of good moisture before Spring growing season arrives. You should have a great garden if the drought eases.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you will continue to receive moisture (snow) in order to improve drought conditions. It's so rewarding to grow your own vegetables. I hope you can maintain your current ornamentals. I remember saving bath water one summer to keep our plants alive. It's quite a task!

    ReplyDelete