Translate

Monday, March 18, 2013

Pansies In A Broken Pot

If you've been a long time reader of Garden on Sherlock Street, you are probably familiar with the flower tower I planted each year.

Last year, it was especially beautiful which was so appreciated as most of the garden struggled in the heat.
I made extra sure to water it each day.

file photo

Then, one windy day last September, it came crashing down.  I was very sad.\
I saved the plants as best I could so I could harvest the seeds from the purple hyacinth bean vine.\
I was successful and have enough seeds to plant this year.

file photo

Most of the pots were in pieces.
Except for the base which I saved.  I just hoped it would be useful somehow.

I spotted pansies available in the store today and brought some home.
One batch is in the pot from the bottom of the flower tower.


Another batch is in this little pot by the front door.


After they settle in a bit, I take their glamour shots.

In other garden news, I cleaned up some more beds in the back garden.  I see many plants sprouting.
I'm really looking forward to tulips!


14 comments:

  1. Yes your bulbs are shooting up sprouts quickly. Great to recycle the broken pot. I really like pansies. They are pushing them right now in the garden centers even though we have snow on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to wait until almost May to buy pansies but they didn't last long when the heat comes. Now, I just buy them when I first see them and get to enjoy them sooner. They really don't mind some cold.

      Delete
  2. Love your pansies and glad you got to use that partial pot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI, You have made good use from that broken pot. We buy our Pansies in the Fall --and most of them make it through the winter... BUT--I did see lots of Pansies at Lowe's last Saturday... Almost bought some more --but really have no place left to put them.... Can't wait to see yours once they grow a little...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I remember. My wife even has the flower tower saved to build again!
    http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Spring has definitely hit your area. Still not here yet but this shows me it's near and dear.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sad that your flower tower fell down and broke. Your pansies look great in that broken pot....I've actually seen pots similar to this being sold in stores! Looking forward to seeing your tulips in bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are way ahead of me on the garden clean up then. I think the pansies in the broken pot is so pretty. That is quite in style now. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry the wind killed your flower tower. I hate when things like that happen. I can only imagine all the beautiful tulips that will bloom from those shoots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What did you have planted in your tower besides hyacinth bean?
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a volunteer morning glory and some calibrocha along the bottom.

      Delete
  10. I hope you will be able to recreate the flower tower this year. We looked at pansies the other day, but decided to wait a little longer and see how the ones in the yard over-wintered. Of course, it's snowing tonight -- bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes, I remember your flower tower. The pansies are so cheerful. Our neighbor's very first tulip opened today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sad to see your awesome flower tower come crashing down, great way to recycle the broken pot tho :) pansies are such cheerful flowers.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street