Translate

Monday, April 8, 2013

Now, Five Birdbaths


The year that I started this blog, I wrote a post about the four birdbaths in the garden.

I still have those four birdbaths.

This spring, I upgraded the pedestal for the patio birdbath and added a fifth birdbath.

This first birdbath is in the front garden right under our living room window.  It is a homemade birdbath from two used farm disc blades and a pipe.  (The base looks just like the top.)  Someone welded them together.  I got it free.  One of  the radio stations in town has a show where you can call in items to buy, sell, trade or giveaway.  Anyway, one day someone had a free birdbath listed.  It was "out front, just pick it up."  I got lucky.  It was still there when I drove by.  It just barely fit into my back seat.  I painted it black.  The top disc blade is rusting a bit though.


This birdbath was a Christmas present from my wonderful husband's late paternal grandmother.  I remember her every time I look at it.  It came in two pieces with an epoxy.  We stuck it together and sat it in the garden.  It's shallow which is great for many birds, but dries out easily on hot windy days.  It's cute and has a prominent place in the back yard.  That's a squirrel image on the front of the pedestal.  It seems to be holding up well.


This is the patio birdbath.  It's just a large plastic saucer with a brick in it.  I've used terra cotta containers and even the water garden tub upside down to sit it on, but this metal pile find from my in-laws for Christmas with my metal containers works great as a pedestal and was pressed into service.


Here's another plastic saucer with a chunk of concrete in it.  This is the corner of one of the raised vegetable beds.  See my garlic sprouts?


Here is the new birdbath.  Another plastic saucer with a chunk of concrete in it.  I put it at ground level so the doves who frequent our garden can get to it.  The other birds are enjoying it too.  I'm sure the neighborhood squirrel will find it. Maybe he already has, but I just haven't witnessed him at it yet.


The brick and chunks of concrete are to keep the plastic saucers from blowing away when the water gets low in our crazy winds.

How many birdbaths do you have in your garden?

18 comments:

  1. Love seeing the birdbaths. I have just one. Love it though, although I sure hate trying to keep it clean.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have three -- oops make that five! Three in the back garden -- one that I can see from the kitchen window and one in the side garden -- that one is not really a bird bath but a fountain and it doesn't get filled much. All but one are concrete. I have an affinity for birdbaths and I found the other day that I was looking at another -- sigh -- but common sense prevailed! I put a brick or stone in mine as well -- not to hold them down but so that smaller birds can light on them and drink if it's too deep a bird bath. I have to level them now, however. It seems that (the leveling) is a right of spring!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bird baths, do you have a lot of visitors to them?

    I have one, 2 I suppose if you are counting saucers - I don't see many birds in ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We see a lot if birds visit the baths, but there aren't many natural water sources in the area right now so Ithink that brings more to our garden.

      Delete
  4. I never thought about the doves needing a low bird bath. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We noticed the won't land at the edge of an elevated bath but are coming to the ground one!

      Delete
  5. I have 5,but all very different. For my big concrete birdbath, I just bought one of the lily pad solar fountains. It's pretty neat. I also have a couple of very shallow dishes on the ground for insect puddling. I enjoy your blog and have just started my own.
    whatsthebuzzin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only have one. While I was reading your post, I thought the concrete chunks were to keep the birdbaths from being damaged if the water froze, but I see instead that you, too, have problems with the wind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Birdbaths can make a wonderful addition to any lawn and garden space. The benefits of birdbaths are well worth the effort it takes in keeping them clean, filled, placed safely and picking the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed seeing your birdbaths. Last summer, the mockingbirds sure enjoyed ours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have 4 bird baths, I think. So you're one ahead of me! For years, my favorite was a round, black rubber, pig feed pan from a local feed supply store, also with a rock in it. I used a large rock with an angled side so that I could fill up the pan deeper than the birds would prefer and they could pick their preferred depth. I started using it when we moved here, but the starlings would mob it and foul the water in less than 5 minutes, so I put it away.

    Now I have a concrete birdbath saucer on the ground that our sump pump empties into, an antique classic concrete birdbath on a pedestal, a large artsy saucer on the ground with leaf impressions in it, and a heated birdbath that fits on the deck railing where I can see it from the kitchen table.

    By the way, I especially love your metal pipe pedestal! Very steampunk/shabby chic/fleamarket style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. steampunk/shabby chic/fleamarket style! Love that! :-)

      I want to get a heated one someday. Solar if I can swing it. Great idea to use you sump pump to fill one for you!

      Delete
  10. Hi!! I love all your birdbaths. I have seven, but one was too deep for the birds so my hubby drilled a hole in it and I planted it with annuals. I also just made a Butterfly totem for the garden so the Butterflies have a place to drink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need something with pebbles for the butterflies too.

      Delete
    2. You can make a totem! They are so easy to make and very inexpensive.

      Delete
  11. I have 2; plus my pond. .I don't usually fill them. .One of mine (the first birdbath I had) looks like yours out of discs. .Jeremy made it for me. .It's been painted a couple times. I like it rustic!! Hoping for some rain tonight to fill them up. .but no severe weather!! Hope you aren't up too late watching!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hoorah!!!! The birds will be so happy:) I haven't written in a long time about my place/plants here. Hopefully soon. I have a clean up this Saturday and once that's done, I'll be publishing some of my work from over this winter around the garden. All I'm going to say is that our garden spaces are alive with bird sounds now and it's incredible....as if you were walking into a private woods. Xeriscape, wildlife friendly plants, and potted arrangements with our new fountain is slowly transforming our gardens here. I feel so bad that I haven't kept up with updates. I'm too caught up with the wildlife photography part right now in my life. But the gardening stuff grounds me. I hope your snow melts soon so that you can get all your flower beds going. Within a month no?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kingfishers bird used to like to dive into our pond. But now we have to put nettings on top for the children safety. I think I would like to add birdbaths too in our garden.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street