Translate

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Purple Poppies Perhaps

I have an area in the front garden where I'm multiplying the daffodils for spring blooms around the tree and shrubs.

I tried to get chocolate flower to establish in the area for summer blooms.  However, despite claims that it would self seed easily even trying to gather the seeds and start them myself, it never spread past where I planted it.  If fact, I think the lone chocolate flower plant gave up last summer in the heat.  No sign of it yet.

I'm looking for something that will self seed easily for the area for the summer so these poppies sounded perfect and they're purple.  The front garden has purple, yellow and white blooms.

I cleared the mulch in an area and tossed out some of the seeds using this screen to protect the area from neighborhood cats and dust bathing birds.  Note the rocks to keep the screen from blowing away.


I see green sprouts.


I think I have poppy babies!


Bring on the purple poppies.

13 comments:

  1. LOL-well, I sure hope that you like them--because once you have them---you REALLY have them forever.
    Congrats on the babies and have a good weekend.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. The screen was an excellent idea. Looks like it really paid off for you.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely looks like poppies! Purple in the garden is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting, I hope you do indeed get to see some purple poppies soon.

    Happy Gardening ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like happy purple poppy babies! Purple always looks great in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to seeing your purple poppies! (There's a tongue twister in there somewhere, I'm sure!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had poppy for the first time last year and loved them. I collected the seeds and scattered them in different spot of the yard in hopes of expanding their horizons. Cant wait to see your purple poppys! And yes, your mystery bird is indeed a Towhee. We have them in our gardens and enjoy watching them come out of the woods and scratch upon the ground for a meal...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it wonderful to see little green leaves sprout????? SO exciting.. Can't wait to see your Purple Poppies!!!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your a Momma!! Those are going to be so pretty!! You just gotta love Poppies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with those babies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Purple poppies surrounded by yellow and white blooms sound utterly divine! How fun to see new little seedlings pop up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think purple poppies will look very good in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been looking for something purple for 2 years. Last year I found a different Salvia Mystic Spires Blue. I love it, and so do humming birds. It blooms all summer until frost. I found it last year in Shreveport La. I do not know what cold zone. I lost one or two. Could only find 7 this year. I asked if they multiplied by root. The lady told me no. No seeds came so that leaves rooting a stem. Bingo. I have rooted 2. When they stop blooming I will cut the tops out and put them in between the annuals I bought in their place. The screen over the seed is a good Idea. I am so glad not to see snow in your yard. Looking good. This Salvia is the best perennial I have found.








    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street