Translate

Monday, June 24, 2013

Settling Into Summer

We are officially into summer at Garden on Sherlock Street.  It is sunny, windy and hot most days.

The following are photos I took this afternoon just capturing what caught my eye or documenting something I wanted to share with you.

The bed under the living room window is still welcoming.  The larkspur and yarrow are making a colorful greeting.  The daisies are done and have been trimmed back.


The wave petunia that was suppose to be white is such a pretty shade of red that I think I'm glad the label was wrong.


Here's a garden issue.
The drought we're in has thinned our Bermuda grass lawn.  All the brown you see is a stand of little barley.  It is an annual weed.  The seed heads stick into your socks with the slightest brushing.  Nothing to do about it now.  May try a pre-emergent this fall as that is when it sprouts.


In the alley, the bachelor buttons are making seed as well.
I've removed the bachelor buttons from the main garden so other plants can have the space.


In the vegetable garden, the winter squash plants are looking healthy.  I just can't figure out why the one in the far right cage is so small.  It's the acorn squash plant.  Maybe it just grows waaaay slooower?  The candy roaster squash and spaghetti squash plants are starting to spread.


I removed all the pea plants today as they are done.  Sunny, windy and hot weather--not good for peas.
I planted the cucumbers in the same area and hope they'll use this pea fence now.


I also put a lot of straw mulch around the cucumbers to fill in empty space left by the removed pea plants.  We continue to be in a drought and our city manager is saying that if we don't get some significant rain soon and for a stretch of time, we will have more restrictions on outside watering.  The city is working to educate residents about using water wisely.  I'm mulching as much as I can to hold in any moisture I can get in the garden.  Still utilizing the bath water and the rain barrels have been catching some nice rains lately.  The one thing I'm using our faucet for still is to run some soaker hoses for the trees and shrubs.  Most are established but they need moisture to withstand our drying winds and they would be the hardest plants to replace.

In this vegetable bed, the summer squashes, peppers and tomatoes are looking good.



Near the wild area where the teepee trellises live (purple hyacinth bean vine plants are looking promising under the trellises), I have some tomatoes that came to my garden from a friend.  While they still look small, tomatoes are forming!


As I walked around the garden, a bright color caught my eye near the asparagus.


The first hollyhock of the year.



14 comments:

  1. Looking great despite the lack of rain. Great idea with the bath water! We have a natural spring and it is very useful during summer droughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is looking so nice. You guys are so far ahead of us in the garden. Hollyhocks are one of those flowers that always make me smile--they just shout "country", don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In spite of your drought and water restrictions your gardens are wonderful, full of beauty and good things to eat.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is quickly filling in for you and looking wonderful regardless of this quick turn to such heat.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the tour. My hyacinth beans look like they are ready to climb, but just won't grab hold of the strings going up to the trellis. Any advice?
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine under the tepees aren't grabbing yet either while ones I have in a container are winding up bamboo poles. I don't know why.

      Delete
  6. Love your pictures. I seriously wish I could send you some rain from Minnesota. My gardens are drowning. We could use a little dry spell. I'm concerned that I'm going to lose plants from root rot. Oh the joys of gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous hollyhock colors!! I can not even BELIEVE the loss that we have had on our cedar tree row north of the house. Those trees have been there for at least 80 years, judging by the photos we have seen. .The dead trees number into the double digits!! We are also mulching things in well. .and I am going to use the drip irrigation and timers to help everything a bit! Looks like you have a very colorful landscape!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hardest to lose trees! Mulch is the word for the garden right now!

      Delete
  8. Everything looks wonderful. I know you are enjoying the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed how you went through the process. Gardening is a process and looking at the good and bad with ideas/solutions in mind for later. Too bad on the drought. We are supposed to be getting storms for two weeks now, and the clouds come, but not the rain. I really hope summer is not like last year, dry and crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have really figured out how to have a beautiful garden despite your water shortage. Hopefully, this summer will be moister than last year. I'm so glad you're watering your trees. It drives me crazy when people just let them die.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Things are looking great your way. Maybe you could make a lasagna bed where the weeds are growing, and plant some native plants that don't need a lot of water in the area.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street