Translate

Saturday, July 6, 2013

2013 Back Garden Containers II

Here are comparison photos of the back garden containers.
May 20 to July 1

Except for a few small ones, the metal containers are only getting watered once a week.  The baskets, plastic containers and clay pots get watered every other day.

May 20
purple angelonia and silver falls dichondra

July 1
purple angelonia and silver falls dichondra

May 20
green sweet potato vine

July 1

green sweet potato vine
May 20
asparagus fern and rose moss   

July 1
asparagus fern and rose moss

May 20
ice plant

The birds attacked the ice plant.  There is still a sprig with leaves hiding from the birds by hanging between the trash cans.  I sat the little pot with an amaryllis bulb in the container to give it something more interesting.

July 1
ice plant

May 20
variegated sweet potato vine and wave petunias

This is filling in.  I have two small pots with starts of an ivy geranium sitting in there too.

variegated sweet potato vine, fiber optic grass and wave petunias 

May 20
ice plant and rose moss

I rearrange my small pots a lot.  The aloe vera and cacti are hanging out with this container currently.

July 1
ice plant and rose moss

May 20
white wave petunia

A volunteer morning glory surprised me in this container.  I added a small tomato cage to give it something to climb on and it seems to be happy.

July 1
white wave petunia and morning glory

May 20
vincas

This container is doing so well it became a lush begonia!
OK.  I killed the vincas in here.  Too little sun and I over watered them before leaving on our vacation.
One trip to the discount rack at a local greenhouse and we have color!  The begonias actually like being in the shade.  Much better choice.

July 1
begonias

May 20
dianthus

dianthus
 
Before these two containers had the same fate as the vincas above, I sat them out in the full sun.  Starting to get some blooms.  By the way, they are sitting on a bed of bachelor button plants.  I just lay them down in many places when they're done to mulch the bed and leave the seeds for next year.
July 1
dianthus

May 20
vincas

These vincas are fine.  Got them into more sun sooner.

July 1
vincas

May 20
impatiens

July 1


May 20
caladiums   
The biggest change is with the caladiums.  Need to get more of these for more containers.

July 1


May 20
white bacopa
gold dust mecardonia and wandering jew cuttings
gold dust mecardonia and wandering jew cuttings

This mixture of plants is looking so nice.  Very happy with the experiment.

July 1
white bacopa
gold dust mecardonia and wandering jew cuttings
gold dust mecardonia and wandering jew cuttings

13 comments:

  1. I think that's a great idea to see how much things grow -- I've never really done that! It's interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your galvanized containers. All of your plantings are lovely and terra cotta pots are always winners.

    Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing what a change can occur in 2 weeks time. Love the assortment of containers. Hubby and I are always on the lookout for good rusty metal items to repurpose as planters. You have some very nice pieces. Good thing I'm too honest to steal-LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I'm glad to see the plants in these backyard containers doing so well, some of the containers themselves are as intriguing as the plants they contain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such better "luck" with containers than I! (I think it has something to do with the fact that I don't water or fertilize consistently....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put "feed containers" on my calendar every couple of weeks!

      Delete
  6. I'm surprised the metal containers don't need to be watered more often. I thought the metal would heat up a lot faster and cook the plants but they look great! I love that milk urn. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised too. I think for most of them, it's because they are larger and more soil holds more moisture.

      Delete
  7. Your containers are looking great! It is amazing how much the plants have filled in in such a short amount of time. How funny that I am reading your post on a day where I have decided to reduce the numbers of containers in my own garden substantially. As nice as they are I am just not able to keep up with the watering anymore. Here in Southern California I need to do that every day in the summer!
    Wishing you a nice Sunday!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to water all my containers everyday. I was surprised that I didn't really need to do that even with our wind. The terra cotta pots are the ones who I have to watch the closest. Love the terra cotta but may start replacing them.

      Delete
  8. Things are starting to really fill in!! I love this time of summer for that reason. .it's nice to get the fullness of the garden!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a Dragon Wing begonia it is wonderful they have to have shade. The bronze leaf Begonia is good in sun. I plant them most every year. We planted them in Carrels yard this year I don't think they need as much water either. I planted several Angelinas this year. They are a plant with forever blooms. I visit every plant every day and I have never seen them with out a bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I forgot to tell you your pots look great.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street