Translate

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Fast Pickles



Fast Pickles

cucumbers
onions

3 cups vinegar
1 cup cold water
4 cups sugar
½ cup pickling salt
1 1/3 Tbsp mustard seed
1 1/3 Tbsp celery seed
1 1/3 tsp turmeric

Wash cucumbers well.  Cut off the ends, but do not peel.  Slice thin.

Peel onions.  Slice thin and separate rings.

Mix vinegar, water, sugar, pickling salt, mustard seed, celery seed and turmeric.  Stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed and dissolved.  Do not heat or boil.

Fill clean canning jars with cucumbers and onions to your liking.  Pack in as many as possible.

Pour cold brine over the sliced cucumbers and onions covering completely.
  
Put new lids on the jars securing with rings and place in refrigerator.

Ready to eat in a week.  Will keep in refrigerator for a year.  

Note:  Extra brine can be stored in refrigerator to use when you get more cucumbers and onions ready to preserve.


8 comments:

  1. Great recipe. Thanks!!!! I love pickles--most any kind. My mother used to make the best Bread N Butter Pickles I've ever had... Have never tasted any quite as good since.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this quick and easy recipe. My mother used a similar recipe when she and Dad had a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have any recipes for fast dill pickles? I'm really not a fan of sweet pickles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both, but haven't found a fast dill recipe. Time to google I guess.

      Delete
  4. Yum. .those look good. .I have a recipe for freezer pickles that you might like if you have freezer space. .they take up less room in your refrigerator then!! My MIL had a ton of cucumbers that I am getting ready to do that with. .but NOW, I'll have to try these first!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please share the freezer recipe. I have more freezer than fridge space!

      Delete
  5. They are beautiful! I'd love some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found this recipe section of your blog! I am going to have to buy cukes at the farmers market so I can make some of these. I made pickled beets the other day.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street