Translate

Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Orchid Blooms Again

With all the winter weather lately, I thought it was time to check in on the plants in the house.

I have some plants in the living room which stay in all year.
I overwinter geraniums, asparagus ferns and anything else I think I can keep alive through the winter in the family room.  They compete for space in the sunshine by the windows.  I also have a couple of lights attached to the plant stand.


I did get a hyacinth bulb started this year.  Anticipating its sweet scent.


The indoor plant with the best show currently is the orchid.  I purchased it in February 2013.  It was blooming at the time.  Those blooms faded and I've kept caring for it.  Several weeks ago I noticed it starting to form buds.  Now, it's blooming!
The orchid stays inside all year.


8 comments:

  1. You have lots of green going on indoors! What a treat to have your orchid bloming now! Your tender loving care is showing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely orchid! Happy Valentine's Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your 'plant station'. A bit of wonderful green during your winter months and then this beautiful orchid bloom.

    Have a Happy Valentine's Day ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have it when it comes to orchids. If I knew what I was doing wrong I would stop doing it and let them live. Your orchid is beautiful. I like seeing all the plants inside. My light for my violets is doing a good job making my flowers thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I summer my orchids outdoors. They don't get pollinators, but some do check them out. My one Paphiopedilum is getting ready to bloom. They bloom a few times a year. I used to overwinter and save geraniums, but they got too big to keep going. The one plant was taller than me. It was sad to let it die in the cold, but gosh was it a monster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I have never been able to get an orchid to bloom again. I gave up on them years ago. Although, yours is so pretty, I just may have to give into the temptation to try another!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lot of plants you bring in for the Winter. Nice that you are able to do that. Lovely Orchid.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh your orchid is so lovely! I have some plants I keep or try to through the winter too.As many as you can save the better. :) Your hyacinth is going to smell so good. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street