Translate

Saturday, April 12, 2014

New Outside Plants

When I got home from work Thursday afternoon, there was a box waiting for me on the porch.  Plants!
I had placed an order with High Country Gardens before our city decided to tighten our watering restrictions.  They are all drought tolerant plants.  And, my plan was to plant them just off the patio where they will get some extra rain from the roof.

The plants looked good in the box.


There were two layers of plants.


I did a double order on one of HCG's preplanned flower beds.  I sorted out the plants.


There was a planting chart included, but my space wasn't a square and will be viewable from all sides.  So, I made my own plan.


There are some dame's rocket and bachelor buttons in the bed currently.  A lot of them stayed, but I had pre-dug some places for the new plants a few weeks back.  I decided which plants would go in which place and started planting.


Since I like to keep the tags with all the info in my folder in the house, I wrote numbers on spoons and put the numbers on the plant list to mark each one.  I've found plastic spoons last a long time in the garden, are easy to find when needed and remove from the garden easily when you're done with them.


After the plants were planted, I gave each a little straw for mulch, poured some bathtub water on them and snapped this photo.


All tucked in.


What did I plant?

Agastache 'Blue Fortune'
Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm'
Liatris aspera
Physostegia 'Miss Manners'
Echinacea purpurea
Sedum 'Matrona'
Solidago 'Fireworks'
And, I moved in some white yarrow from another bed in the garden.

In other news, I filled in the center rocks in this bed for the new garden art that is coming.  I'm hoping for some predicted rain this weekend to settle it a little before placing the art on the paver.


9 comments:

  1. Sounds great... You are smart to get some drought-resistant plants --with your drought problems there. BUT--I hope the Spring will bring you RAIN.... Good Luck.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been impressed with my orders from HCG.....glad to see it's still doing a great job. Love those extra deep pots---I called them once trying to buy them---they wouldn't sell any. Rats! Sometimes I think I order just to get more--ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always exciting to get new plants for the garden. FedEx brought us some day lilies that I have to get planted. I like your plastic spoon idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a lot of work but a lot of fun too. I just planted some lilies and a bleeding heart plant. Our soil is still very cold so those things will not really respond for a while. I think we still have frost in the ground a foot down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to get a new box full of flowers. Can't wait to see everything begin growing.
    Blessings to you both this Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GonSS, you are off to a good start with the new gardening year. I'm having a rocky start this year. Right now the wind is howling outside with gusts over 59 MPH. Pounding rain has accompanied the rain so a real spring rain storm is happening. A promise of 28 degrees will require me to cover the cabbages again tonight. The rain is a good thing but it seems the moisture this year is always accompanied with something else that's not so nice. There was only two of the plants on your order that I am familiar with. Cone flowers and Black eyed Susan are two of my favorites but I haven't grown any in several years. The winds always knocked down my Cone flowers and I discovered after many tries with the Black eyed Susan that I was planting the annual and not the perennial. Right now there's plenty to keep me busy.

    Have a great mail order plant day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing better than a box full of plants and a motivated gardener. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that is going to be such a pretty flowerbed. Great choice of plants. I cannot wait to see pictures of it throughout the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have quite a few of those. 'Blue Fortune' likes more moisture than most agastache and needs spring fertilizing. It gets really big! Your garden will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street