Translate

Friday, June 27, 2014

Nesting Cardinals

We've had a pair of cardinals gracing our garden for some time.  The male sings and sings and sings.
I discovered a nest in the forest one afternoon.  When I went around the other side of the tree, I saw the female cardinal setting on the nest.  Today, I looked at the nest and saw two bald baby cardinal heads in it.  Mr. Cardinal was nearby on our garage roof quite perturbed that I was near the nest.  Mrs. Cardinal was flitting around in the juniper trees, but I was happy to get a quick photo of her too.  Then, I left the little family alone.  



Finding this nest helps with the recent discovery that the dove nest I had found won't have baby doves.  One egg was on the ground nearby and the other egg had clearly been broken in the nest and the baby dove had died.

Here's to seeing cardinals learning to fly!

7 comments:

  1. I've a pair of cardinals, too, but I haven't located the nest. I'd like to, so I know where to stay clear, but instead I just make them nervous while I'm puttering around the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy about the Cardinal babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about the baby doves. Enjoy watching the fledgling cardinals.

    Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you do too. We seem to raise several birds every year but not sure where they nest -- my favorite is the family of jays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos. Nothing like being part of Cardinals. Such lovely little birds.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  6. How neat to find a nest! I know we must have cardinal nests around here, because I always see a pair settling in the same place, but I've never found the actual nest. Cardinals are my favorite bird--love to watch the male and female interact; they always seem so loving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We watched, what we thought, was a mama cardinal feeding her baby last year. After some research I found out the baby was a cowbird. Cowbirds lay their eggs in another birds nest. If there isn't room...they kick the cardinal egg out. This cardinal pair were taking very good care of the baby cowbird. I guess that they don't know the difference.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street