Translate

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Friends And Flowers

Last Saturday, I spent some time with other Sunflower State garden bloggers who write at Gaia Garden and There's No Place Like Home.

Our state's native plant society organized its annual wildflower weekend and the three of us made a plan to meet for the event.  There were presentations, books, meals, a photo contest and wildflower tours.  Saturday afternoon, a caravan of wildflower enthusiasts headed out to some prairie areas shared by ranchers.


This is just a sample of some of the great plants we saw.

I have this plant.

snow-on-the-mountain

I would love to add these plants.

scorpion something ???

golden prairie-clover

clammy-weed

rocky mountain bee plant

Time with these ladies was the highlight of the trip.
Aren't we cute in our rainbow of shirts?
It is  great how a shared interest in gardening and a little thing called the internet has brought us together.  Our paths crossed virtually and now we take paths to be together in person.  It was the first time for Gaia Gardener and I to get together even though plants and seeds have already gone from one garden to another.  Melanie and I have been able to tour each other's gardens in addition to sharing plants and seeds.


Everyone at the event was friendly and willing to share what they knew.  This gentleman was explaining something to my friends.


I took this photo just to show the rolling hills and this beautiful tree.  I just love its form.  Look how wide its canopy reaches.  I do not know what kind of tree it is.  


Friends and flowers.  Fabulous!

10 comments:

  1. What a great opportunity. I enjoyed the photos very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos of a good time with blogging friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!! I love when bloggers come together. It's pretty special. I hope that you all get to do it again. Plus the subject of plants is pretty wonderful as well. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GonSS, it's always nice to be together sharing a common activity with friends, isn't it. I really should search out some like minded friends in gardening. Most of my friends think my gardening is a bit over board and very out there. Bucket gardening and raised beds are foreign to them. To them multilevel potato growing and catching rain water for garden irrigation is extreme survival techniques. I laugh because they don't seem to mind when I share my harvest with them. They have never criticized or had any thing negative to say and I suspect they all are used to the weird things I do in my backyard. In a couple more years I'll have fully self watering garden from catching the rain to actual watering the plants. It takes some time to set up in the Spring and tear down in the fall but the in between times watering is entirely automated.

    Ha, my garden this year is filled with native plants to the max. I call them weeds. Our state plant is the Golden Rod which is in bloom now as well. It's quite beautiful when in bloom. Nebraska has taken to sowing a wild flower mix along some roadsides. It's really awesome when in bloom but they are not a prevalent as they used to be. I suspect budget cut backs killed the roadside wild flower seeding.

    Have a great friends and flowers memory day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would have been fun. I don't think I am familiar with that tree or even the terrain that you three were exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your lovely photos. And those of the previous post about your hike. BTW I did the books in the pack myself before a backpacking trip with my son's Boy Scout troop.
    I love the native plants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fun time and what lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great gathering. I'm envious. It's always nice to meet like-minded people. Glad you had such a nice meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, I love the variety of photos you shared! I concentrated on people, rather than plants, and my photos show it - for better and for worse. (I was also rather tardy in getting my post together.) It was so nice to finally meet you in person and to get the chance to botanize a bit together! Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was definitely a fabulous time indeed!! Great picture of that awesome tree!! I was able to find snow on the mountain in my back 40 too. .hoping to get some seed and sow it in my garden as well!!

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street