Translate

Monday, October 13, 2014

It's a Jungle

This is what we call the wild area.  Somewhere in there is a stack of limestone my wonderful husband acquired for free this spring, a moon flower plant that couldn't compete but bloomed well anyway and a hole I dug to toss my composting material into.  Otherwise, you're seeing a lot of volunteer plants; mostly squash and gourds from the seeds I tossed out last year, morning glories and sunflowers.


This is the vegetable garden.  With regular rains this year, the squash, pumpkins and tomatoes really grew--maybe too well. 


We have not yet had a killing frost.  October 12 is our average frost date so I shouldn't be surprised.  With so much plant material to work with this year, I feel like I need to start the clean up even if the plants are still growing.  The tomatoes and peppers have slowed down.  I've been waiting for the winter squash and pumpkins to finish ripening, but they can do that off the vine.  I will tackle the morning glories when they're not blooming so I don't feel as bad.  It is time to take it all down.  

Here's the plan:  cut the teepee trellises free and remove them, dig a hole using the soil to fill the current composting hole, fill the new hole with plant material from the vegetable garden and wild area, repeat previous two steps until soil from a hole can be used to top off the vegetable garden, end the process with a composting hole ready to use through the winter.  This may take a while.  

The wild area is kind of my soil factory.  By burying plant material there, it breaks down faster and the soil left behind is so wonderful that I use it everywhere to fill in beds and even put some in my containers.  It also means I spread morning glories around the garden a bit, but I just pull out the ones I don't want.    I'll report back on the progress.

Have a good week!


4 comments:

  1. I adore volunteer Morning Glories. They often come up with fantastic colorations from cross pollinating. They're always a delight....but can get out of control if you don't watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that your gardens did well this year in spite of your drought conditions. I hope those are behind you now. It sounds like you've got quite a bit to do to put your gardens to sleep for the winter.

    Enjoy and happy fall to you and your husband ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think October and November are my favorite months out in the garden. The weather makes for happy plants. Enjoy! In Tucson, our first freeze usually happens at the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi There, Your gardens still look wonderful despite the possibility of frost and winter coming soon... Glad your drought obviously didn't do much damage in your garden.

    It's hard this time of year knowing what to go ahead and take down and what not to....We still have roses blooming --and they will 'til we get a frost. We also have some of our re-blooming Irises in bloom... So gorgeous.

    Good Luck deciding what you need to begin taking down... I know it's hard!!!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street