Translate

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Wheel Bug

As I sit to write this blog post, I'm realizing that I smell of dill.  LOL.  I was cutting stalks of dill that had dried in my garden and laying them in areas I'd like it to seed for next year.  Good thing I like the smell of dill.

As I was heading out the back door with a bucket of water from our bathtub today, I found this fellow on the steps.  A wheel bug!  Honestly, this is the first wheel bug I've ever seen in my garden.  I understand that they can deliver a painful bite so I didn't touch him, but I got some nice close up photos.  Eventually, he moved out of my path so I didn't have to step over him too many times.



A front came through yesterday bringing us cooler weather.  We had been up near 100 degrees Fahrenheit last week and through the weekend, but today it is only around 80 degrees.

5 comments:

  1. I've never seen a wheel bug! The front came through here as well and it was much nicer and less humid today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an odd creature! I wonder what their range is. I've never heard of them. That wheel is sure a distinctive feature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GoSS, I've never seen a real wheel bug but I've seen lots of pictures of them. They are an interesting looking insect for sure. They are a beneficial bug and dine on the bugs that will destroy foliage. Nature is a harsh realm to live in that's for sure. They are not supposed to be in Kansas and yet there he/she is. They are a relative of the stink bug so maybe cousins came visiting. What do you think? :-)

    Have a great wheel bug day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're getting that same front and my oh my, is it ever nice. Cool bug. I don't think I've ever seen one before but will steer clear if I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the smell of dill. Last week at the market a vendor had a jar of freshly cut dill stalks on her table. They weren't for sale. She just brushed them now and then to put the smell of dill in the air. :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street