Translate

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Wind, Robins and Rain


This is Baby Robin.  He lives in our hawthorn tree.  The nest is right at eye level next to our vegetable beds.  When no parents were around, I peeked inside.  There were three eggs.  Only one hatched/survived.  He is getting quite big and was out on the branch being fed today.  It's been fun to watch him grow.  Earlier this month, we had a crazy wind storm.  Officially, 83 mile per hour winds blew through our area.  Many trees were damaged in town.  Power was out for many as lines were down with the trees.  Amazingly, we only lost a few small branches.  All my plants looked roughed up; but the way our house and fence set, most of the garden was protected including the hawthorn tree with the robin nest.  I was worried about it, but when I checked the tree after work that day, one of the parents was sitting on the nest and all the eggs were there when I got a chance to check for them.  The wind storm brought a lot of rain too.  I've never been in a hurricane, but it looked like the footage on TV when they have a person showing how hard it is to stand as a hurricane comes to shore.  We have continued to have regular rains.  The heat dome that is affecting so much of the country included us a bit last week, but a front came through and brought cooler weather yesterday.  I was just getting to the bottom of my rain barrels when they were filled up again.  Amazing how much time I have in a day when I don't have to haul water.  Plugging along with the vegetable garden, but some things got such a late start that we may miss out on some of the squash we are used to having.  Getting tomatoes now.  Our green onions were great this spring, but now that I have full onions, something is eating them.  Odd.  Hope all is well in your garden.   Will try to have a new tour next week.  Can't believe it is almost August.  Be well!

4 comments:

  1. Gosh, I couldn't imagine winds like that--it must have been scary!!
    I know what you mean about hauling water. May and June were so so dry up here and I spent a lot of time watering transplants, etc.
    This month has been consistent rain--about every 3 days , so I'm 'off the hook" as far as watering goes. Extra time is non-existent though as now it's time to start dealing with harvests (a good thing!)
    Have a great week, looking forward to your monthly tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet little robin! I'm glad he was protected from the windstorm that you had.

    Rain is predicted to start here in 39 minutes. Time will tell if it does or not. It is gray out and there is a slight breeze. We need a good rain.

    Thank you for visiting my blog and for your comment. I appreciate it.

    Have a nice Wednesday ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad he made it through the storm! :o) But at least you're finally getting some much needed rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a cute photo of the bird. I tend to worry about birds during storms, too. Glad your rain barrels were filled again. Georgia has been very hot and we are low on rain. I love Autumn and cannot wait until cooler temps arrive!

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street